There are few types of the soil, like loamy soils, sandy soils, peat-bogs, grey forest soils, black earth, brown soils and few others. Each of these sorts has its qualities, like presence of the organic substances, micro-organisms, mineral elements, higher or lower levels of alkalinity and acidity. When you know the type of the soil in your garden, you may create a strategy of improving its quality if your soil is not very suitable for growing flowers or you may select the types of the plants that will be suitable for this particular type of the soil.
Few important steps of the garden soil preparation are outlined below. You need to pay attention to them.
1. When you design the garden you should select flowers according to the type of the soil in your garden. If you have heavy clay or sandy soils in your garden you need to make few corrections to improve its quality zahradní zemina. For example, you may add coarse sand, crushed stone or bark to the heavy clay soil. This action will make easier water access to the plants and decrease possibility of dirtying of the top layer of the soil after strong raining. And you may add compost or mulch for firming sandy types of the soil.
2. Different types of garden plants require different type of the soil. I am not talking only about bulbous flowers here. For example, annual flowers require thoroughly distended and friable soil. It is desirable to add slowly acting fertilizers in order to make this type of the soil suitable for growing flowers. Shade-requiring perennials love soil with the rich degree of the deciduous humus or garden compost, and rock garden perennials, which have long roots, like sandy soils for its ability to allow water to pass easier.
3. One of the first steps in garden soil preparation – is the removal of all weeds. The most important is to remove them all at once before they will be strong, because if weeds blossom, their seeds will get to the ground, and eventually everything will start from the beginning – you will have garden full of weeds.
To do it correctly, you need to make garden soil light and take away big stones and consolidated mud. After this you will be able to take out all roots of the weeds, using pitchfork or bare hands.
Some weeds, like Dandelion, have long tap root, and in order to remove it completely, you need to dig around this plant.
4. Better airing and soil loosening require double digging – this will help significantly for the growth of the gardening bulbs.
5. Mulching saves moisture of the soil better in warm and hot weather conditions, it decreases annual weeds growth, also it can be additional organic fertilizer and prevent deep frost penetration during winter time.
6. You do mulching during spring time usually. Before mulching you would like to make some preparations to the soil:
– you need to clear soil around the flowers from the last year leaves and weeds;
– you should apply fertilizer with the layer of 4 – 6 centimeters and cover the soil around plants’ stems, but not closely to them.